Annapoorna Central Library in SalemSalem is one of the largest cities near Chennai in Tamil Nadu which is famous for its historical and natural heritage. In addition to that, it is also becoming a popular city where people are migrating from all over the country due to the emerging industrial industry and lot of opportunities for the business entrepreneurship. In addition to that, the public utilities are keeping pace with the increasing public demand which enhances the lifestyle of the people.
About Annapoorna Central LibraryThe premises of the library are very large and are 3 floor constructions which are fully air-conditioned. The area of the Annapoorna Central Library is spread over 15000 sq. feet. The library contains various sections and provides various services for the readers.
Contributions of Annapoorna Central Library
- The library routinely selects, acquires, organizes and maintains a collection of the primary and secondary educational material whether it is printed or non-printed.
- The library also provides the personal assistance, and point of use instruction for conducting the research in literature and other reference services.
- The library also provides an environment to its user which is conductive for the optimum use of the library material and the professional assistance in the fixed schedule of services.
- The library also participates in the overall computing plans for the various aspects of the library resource plans. It also plans for the full utilization of the physical equipment and the other facilities, automation technology for the processing, cataloguing and the storage of the educational and related materials.
The construction of the Annapoorna Central Library has been done according to the international guidelines. The area of the Central Library is spread through 15000 square feet and has three floors. The library is centrally Air-Conditioned for the benefit of the readers. The library has specialized collections in books, non-book materials and journals in various subjects such as Biotechnology, engineering and technology, Humanities and other sciences.
Floor Plans of Annapoorna Central Library
- Ground Floor - The Ground floor has circular section which provides various services to the readers. The services are book issue counter and book return and renewal counter. In addition to that, the ground floor of the library has reading hall, Reprographic section, Library OPAC, library server room, technical section and the acquisition section. In addition to that this floor also have stock area -1 where books are arranged on the shelves and catalogued according to the branches such as electronics & instrumentation engineering, electrical, computer science & engineering.
- 1st Floor - The 1st floor of the library has reading section for the readers. Also it has stack area-II where books are arranged on the different shelves according to the subjects such as Biotechnology, Mechanical Engineering, and Electronics & Communication Engineering.
- 2nd Floor - The 2nd floor of the library have book bank section, Reading section for the students and the faculty, digital library section and the other media resources. This floor also has Stack Area – III which includes the reference section for humanities books and civil Engineering Science.
Different Sections of Library
Library Office:This is the most important part of the library where all the decision are taken by the staff pertaining to the library. The decision includes the formulation of the budget proposals and the monitoring of the annual expenses, settling of the bills, payment of the advances etc.
The staff is also involved in the buying of the library equipments and the other materials which are required for the library management and operations. The function also includes the maintenance of the assets, stocks and the consumable registers which includes the stock verification.
The librarians are highly qualified and efficient who ensure the best possible service. The librarians ensure that the library should stock the standard textbooks and the reference books published by well known authors.
They make every effort to obtain all the titles which are recommended for the members of the library. They also make sure that the multiple copies of the popular books are available for as many readers as possible so as to ensure the best service.
A copier is also available for the users who require it.
This section of the library deals with various functions such as the purchase of the books for the library. It includes the reference books, Multi-volume books and the text books serial publications. The staff in this section deals with various functions such as receiving the book indents, checking of the duplicates, placing orders for the books, receiving the books and entering of the books in accession register of the Library and the budget control.
Periodical SectionThe periodical section staff function is to process the journal subscriptions, deal with the renewals, and order the payments or advances for the periodicals every year. The staff in this section also regulates the display arrangements of the current journals which are new arrivals and subscribes directly.
The function of the technical section staff includes the building of the database for the library books and other related information such as CDs, DVDs, thesis, projects, dissertations etc. It also includes the technical processing such as the classification of the books, catalogs and assignation of the subject heading, data entry check, indexing and the physical processing of the books and other documents which has been purchased and ordered. After completing all the process, the books and other documents are released to the new arrival area for putting on the book shelf. This library follows AACR2 for the cataloguing purpose and the Dewey decimal classification system for classification purpose.
E- Journals SectionThe library provides the, INDEST-AICTE CONSORTIA E-Journals such as IEL-IEEE ON-LINE and SPRINGER LINK. The section also provides the back volumes of the national and international titles for the users in the bound form.
Circulation SectionThis section is the front end of the library which provides the book lending services to the library users. Most of the functions and the transaction of this section are partially automated. The users can access OPAC and check the data regarding the status of the borrowed books and can reserve any book in advance from anywhere in the campus.
The maintenance staff and the attendants help to maintain the cleanliness and the books which are available on the book shelf of the library. The library has provided the reading tables and chairs for the reference work. The stack area on each floor contain all the book related to various subjects such as technology, engineering and science, social science and communication which includes spiritual and value education and social sciences. Apart from cleaning the library, the attendants return the books to their proper places every day.
Maintenance Section and the Stack Area
CD/DVD SectionThe library also provides the selected CDs, DVDs and cassettes for the users in this section. The users who are interested can use this facility in the library.
Other Services of the Library
- Open Public Access Catalogue or OPAC for the users
- Membership services for the users
- Reference services for the people
- Circulation services for the members
- Current awareness services
- Digital information service for the members
- Reprographic services
- Orientation program for the users
- Text Book services for the students
The network connections used by the library are the WIfi and the Internet.
Network Connections used in Library
The library uses the Autolib software for the operation and management.
Library Automation software
The opening hours of the Annapoorna Central Library are as follows:
Annapoorna Central Library Timings
During Semester: Monday to Saturday
From 8 am to 8 pm and Sunday - From 10 am to 4 pm
During Vacation: Monday to Sunday - From 10 am to 4 pm
Annapoorna Central Library is situated in the heart of the city. It is very easy to reach at the library for the people and the students who live in Salem. You can reach library by bus, auto or taxi. The distance to Annapoorna Central Library is as follows-
How to reach Annapoorna Central Library
Distance from the Salem Railway Station - 21 km
Distance from the Salem Airport - 32 km
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0