Hare Krishna Temple in Salem
The Origin of ISKCON in SalemISKCON is about the faith in Krishna consciousness which believes in the practical science behind the spiritual values explained in the ancient Vedic Literature. The very goal of this movement is to let the common people know about the universal principles of God to make them gain from peace, unity and spiritual understanding. The devotees of ISKCON believe that the chanting of the Holy Names connects them with the Almighty and develop a relationship with Him.
Holy Prayer - Harinama SankirtanaThis prayer of Harinama Sankirtana is often associated with the devotees going out on the streets, dancing and singing the chant of different kinds of holy songs, accompanied with mridangas (a kind of drum) and karatalas (hand cymbals). Every day this is a very integral part of prayer in all ISKCON centres including the one in Salem.
About 500 years ago Lord Krishna was reincarnated in the form of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (Lord Gauranga). He is said to have started this Harinama Sankirtana to end the sufferings of people.
The Golden Avatar
Annual Festivals at ISKCON Salem
- Gaura Purnima - It is the appearance day of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (usually in March).
- Rama Navami - Appearance day of Lord Rama (usually in April)
- Narasimha Chaturdashi - Appearance day of Sri Narasimhadeva (usually in May)
- Ratha Yatra - The chariot festival along with Lord Jagannatha, Balaram and Subhadra (in June or July)
- Janmashtami - Appearance day of Sri Krishna (usually in August)
- Govardhana Puja - The day when Sri Krishna is said to have lifted the Govardhana hill (usually in September or October)
A lot of other occasions and festivities are celebrated all year round. The updates and details are given on the website from time to time. Some of them have been listed below.
Daily Temple Programs at ISKCON Salem
- 04:30 Mangalaarti
- 05:00 Sri Narsimhapranama
- 05:10 Tulasi Puja
- 05:25 Chanting japa
- 07:15 Deity greetings
- 07:25 Guru Puja & kirtan
- 07:50 Srimad Bhagavatam lecture
- Sunday, 10:30 -13:00- Bhajan, Bhagavad Gita lecture, Artikirtan and Prasadam( In the temple)
- Monday, 18:30 - 20.00- Bhajan and Bhagavad Gita lecture (Peramanur road, Lakshmi Nursery Garden)
- Tuesday, 17:15 -18:15- Sanga and philosophical discussion (GCE College)
- Wednesday, 17:15 - 18:15- Sanga and philosophical discussion (Near Sona College)
- Thursday, 17:30 - 18:30- Sanga and philosophical discussion (AVS College)
They can be divided into– public programs, corporate programs, congregational programs and youth preaching. Usually devotees sing bhajans before a Bhagavad Gita lecture is given and question and answer sessions are held. ISKCON Salem is a very enriching place just like other ISKCON centers.
If you just want to pay a visit to this magnificent temple, here is the address of the temple for your help: Hare Krishna Land, Karuppur, Salem, Tamil Nadu- 636012. You can also reach the temple dignitaries by calling at 0427 200 1686.
Contact ISKCON in Salem
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 1