Religious Places in SalemSalem is a southern district of Tamil Nadu state. Mettur, Attur and Omalur are the main cities of Salem. Salem is connected to the other districts of TN via renowned and reputable Rail and Road networks. Salem is well-known for steel and mangoes. The Salem district is situated at the foot of the Yercaud hills.
Tamil Nadu abounds with temples and attracts a plethora of pilgrims from all over the globe. For this reason this state is also acknowledged as “The Temple State of India”. Salem also houses a number of temples, churches and mosques and enthralls the tourists with its architectural splendor. Each religious place has its own history which leaves the tourists mesmerized.
Churches in SalemThe churches in Salem encourage the members to develop faith in God (Jesus Christ) and unite people using the Christianity. There are a few churches who have been trying their best to spread knowledge amongst the kids living in Salem and adjacent areas.
Some of the churches have undertaken a variety of projects for starting schools, hospitals, hostels and boarding homes. All the churches in Salem are always ready to provide help to the underprivileged people. Some popular churches in Salem are:
- Emmanuel Lutheran Church
- Holy Trinity Church
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church
- Arcot Lutheran Church
- Calvary Assembly of God Church
- Agape Christian Mission
- Apostolic Faith Revival Church
- Infant Jesus Church
- Messenger of Love Church
- Delight of God Church
- M.P.A Church
- C.S.I Anderson Memorial Church
- The Lord is God Church
- CSI St. Paul’s Church
- Berachah Prophetic Church
- ACA – Valapady Prayer House
- The Sacred Hear Sherine
- C.E.F Worship Center
Devotees from all over India come to Salem to have a religious experience. All the temples possess a variety of Hindu deities and Saints. Each temple tells the story of its origin which makes the devotees and other tourists spellbound.
Temples in Salem
The temple architecture enthralls the visitors by beautiful stone carvings and sculptures. Salem has several renowned temples which include:
- Kottai Mariyamman Temple
- ISKON Salem
- Kailashnathar Temple
- 1008 Lingam Temple
- Sugavaneshwarar Temple
- Siddhar Temple
- Kandhaswamy Kovil Temple
- Tharamangalam Temples
- Arulmigi Alagirinathar Temple
- Ellaipedari Amman Temple
Salem boasts a plethora of “Masjids” or Mosques in the town. Some of the very popular mosques in Salem are:
Mosques in Salem
- Chinna Mosque: This famous mosque is also known as the Nawab’s Masjid. This is said to be the oldest mosque in Salem.
- Jama Masjid: Jama Masjid is located on the southern banks of the Thirumanimuthu river. This mosque was constructed by Tipu Sultan, who was the emperor of Mysore. It is said that Tipu Sultan used to offer prayers at the Jama Masjid. In 1862, the British Government gave an award named “Masjid Inam” to this mosque.
- Shevapet Mosque: Shevapet Mosque is positioned at the river bank close to an elevated walkway which connects Shevapet with Gugai.
- Jalalpura Mosque: This mosque was constructed by the Labbai community.
- Muhammadpura Mosque: This well-known mosque in Salem was built by a rich merchant known as “Mohideen Ravuttur”.
- Al-Amin Mosque: This mosque is situated in Mohammed Pura which is close to the old market in Salem.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 1