Salem Municipal CorporationSalem City Municipal Corporation can be defined as the civic body which governs Salem. It includes an executive body and a legislative body. The corporation provides the civic services to more than 831,038 people in Salem city. The area of the city can be measured as 100 km2 or 39 sq ml.
History of the Salem Municipal Corporation:Centurion Municipality got renamed as the Salem Municipal Corporation on 1st June’94. The Centenary of the Municipal Council got celebrated in 1966. On 1st April’79, the Salem City Municipal Corporation was upgraded to a Municipality of special grade. On 1st April’94, the Salem city limits were increased further as Suramangalam Municipality, Kannankurichi Panchayat, Jarikondalampatty Panchayat and 21 village panchayats were included.
The Salem city is divided by the Salem Municipal Corporation in four zones due to the administrative purpose. The city mayor heads the legislative body of Salem and a Chief Commissioner heads the executive body. The Salem Municipal Corporation has 60 wards. The head of the wards is Mayor and a deputy Mayor. There are 58 municipal councilors, who are elected from the wards and represent different wards of the city. At present, Mr. S. Soundappan from AIADMK is the mayor. M.Ashokan is the Corporation Commissioner.
Formation of the Salem Municipal Corporation:
The city has been divided into four zones for administrative purpose. For taking the care of the Zonal Activities, every Zonal Office has Zonal Chairman and an Assistant Commissioner.
Four Zonal Offices of Salem City:
- Hasthampatty Zonal Office
- Suramangalam Zonal Office
- Ammapet Zonal Office
- Kondalampatty Zonal Office
The Zonal offices govern their zones with the help of different committees, who look after a particular sector such as Town planning and development committee, works standing committee, finance and taxation standing committee, accounts standing committee, appointment standing committee and education standing committee.
These standing committees study different proposals for the improvement of the area in their sector, and give their recommendations to the Zonal office for further actions.
Departments of Salem Municipal Corporation:
- Administration Department
- Engineering Department
- Public Health Department
- Revenue Department
- Information Technology Department
- City Planning Department
Salem Municipal Corporation looks after different types of facilities to be provided to the residents. Some of the responsibilities of the Salem Municipal Corporation are:
Responsibilities of Salem Municipal Corporation:
- Birth/death registration
- Tax/revenue collection from various properties
- Supply of water throughout the district
- Lighting of roads, road & flyover maintenance
- To decorate and maintain different public parks, gardens
- Opening of municipal schools(primary and secondary level)
- To look after public health by opening primary health centers, dispensaries and special clinics
- Arrangement of vaccination
- Special health check up camps
- Water supply for the district
- Waste and sewerage management
E-governance can be broadly defined as the application of the communication and information technology for delivering the government’s services to the citizens, other govt. departments and the employees. It also includes the integrations of different stand-alone systems, communication transactions, back office processes and the interaction within the government frame work. With the increasing use of computers and internet, the Salem Municipal Corporation has upgraded to the e-governance for providing different services to the citizens in a very efficient, convenient and transparent manner.
E-governance of the Salem Municipal Corporation:
The Salem Municipal Corporations has computerized various information databases for the convenience of the citizens such as:
- All the information related to the water charges, property tax and the non-tax items have been collected in the databases.
- The citizens can do the payments for the water charges, property tax and non-tax items through electronic bank transfers and the designated banks.
- The birth and death certificates are issued to the citizens through computer service centers.
- The working hours of the computer service centers are 10 am to 5 pm throughout the week so as to enable the citizens to remit the tax directly.
- The computer service center also provides the details of the tax information to the public in the working hours.
- The Salem Municipal Corporation also has an official website where you can get general and required information.
Other Related Information:
Salem Municipal Corporation
Navalar Nedunchezhiyan Salai
Salem - 636001
Phone no.:0427 221 2844
Downloads of all information forms